I've fiddled with my blog template because I decided I wanted more horizontal viewing space, given that it was using less than a third of my 1920 horizontal pixels. If it feels too spread out for you, I added a drag-and-drop handle over to the left to let you resize the main content column. The javascript is pretty primitive. If it breaks, drop me a comment.
>
>
>
>

Saturday, February 1, 2014

CentOS 6 and SSH public key auth

I have to get this one out there because it beats anything I've seen anywhere. I had set up a quick CentOS 6.5 minimal x86_64 VM in VirtualBox to play with, and I've spent an hour plus trying to get SSH pubkey auth working with it. I checked all the usual things: directory permissions, sshd config settings, ssh and sshd debug output, etc. Then I checked it all again. *head scratch* What's going on here? I stumbled across a forum post somewhere that led to my running the command "restorecon -r <user's home dir>", and magically, it works fine now. ???? What? I have no idea what it does, and I hate when that happens. It's obviously something to do with SELinux, which I also know nothing about. The crazy thing is I'm pretty sure I did nothing that should screw with anything along these lines, implying that the CentOS 6.5 image is broken in some way?

No comments: